Image Map

But seriously where have I been??

Sooooo, my last post was May 17, 2014. Yikes!!That day I talked about how rough my pregnancy and leaving the classroom had been. Little did I know that things were about to get even more rough. Just 5 days later I went into preterm labor at 33 weeks. My boys and I came very, very close to dying. I suffered from something called HELLP Syndrome. Basically my liver and kidneys were shutting down and fast. I lost more than 50% of my blood volume. I am blessed to be alive, to say the least. If you'd like to read more about our birth story you can read it here. As you can imagine the physical recovery took a few months, but in all honesty the experience has taken a year to fully come to terms with.

But in reality that's only a part of "where I've been". The reality is that I've been at home being Mommy. My precious preemie twins have had my undivided attention, which is exactly what those sweet sleep-hating, refluxing, food intolerant, colicky, little barrels of energy have needed. They have needed all of me. And that has made this one of the most exhausting, yet completely rewarding years of my life. Honestly I don't know how working moms do it, especially working moms of multiples (serious props...wait do people even still say that??).

Being mommy has been more than enough for me to handle, but that my boys have become toddlers (when did that happen??), and are a bit more independent (thank God for built in playmates) I have more "free time". And by "free time" I really mean a few stolen moments I can actually devote to other things. Life is really just a big balancing act isn't it?

Part of me has been debating how to best utilize those stolen moments. I have been longing for a creative outlet. Before my twins, I loved teaching in part because it was my creative outlet. Not only did I love being in the classroom with the kids, I loved the creative aspects: from designing a welcoming classroom environment, to making unique and fun lessons, and personalizing resources for my students. It was the perfect job for me. Don't get me wrong... I love being a stay-at-home mom. I feel blessed that we can afford for me to stay home. And I have ALWAYS desired to stay home with my babies. But at this point my toddlers aren't really the best "audience" for my creativity. So what's a mama to do?

Well I've done a bit of introspection and have decided it's time to transition this blog a bit. To shift it from primarily a teaching blog to something that's a better fit for my current life at home with toddlers. Now I still plan on offering teaching tidbits and resources now and then, but it won't be the primary focus anymore. My plan is to offer resources for at home parents, to chronicle my life as a twin mom, and to share my creative projects. I realize that the transition may mean that I lose the few readers I have, but honestly I don't know that I have any left. I have SERIOUSLY neglected this space. So if you've stuck it out, thank you and I'm sorry!! In the end my hope is that this transition allows me a space for creativity. Because after all, even a mommy needs a little "me" time.  
signature

No comments:

Post a Comment